Sunday, March 04, 2012

Change of Plans

I created my  own marathon training plan with 18 weeks to go.  It is a combination of Runner's World Smart Coach, Hal Higdon and a couple of other articles I read.  I haven't been happy with it.  I keep feeling like there is so much focus on the one weekly long run that the overall mileage is underwhelming.  I have been cross training so hard that I cannot hit my miles or pace for the key runs.  With all this, my confidence in my plan is failing. 

Ever since reading an article, Marathoning the Hansons' Way, a couple of years ago, I have been intrigued by the Hansons' Less is More Plan.  The idea of running medium long runs back to back hit a chord with me.  I keep looking at it and thinking "next marathon."  It scares me.  The idea of going into a marathon shooting for a PR with only 16 mile long runs freaks me out.  Yet, I see the evidence that it does work. 

This afternoon, I pulled out my copies of the Hansons Plan, Pfitz 18/55, Hal Higdon Advanced I, Smart Coach and my original plan.  I laid them all out on the floor.  I counted miles, analyzed paces and speed work.  I worked them around to work on my weekly schedule. 



Then I made a decision.  I choose the Hanson's Less is More Plan.  I am nervous about this.  Yet, there is so much about it I like.  I like the running on tired legs.  I like all the marathon pace runs.  I like the bits of speedwork.  It took a bit of work to move the days around since I cannot run long on weekends, but I can do the long run on Monday with the moderate long on Sunday.  Not perfect, but it works for me. 

I remind myself that I have run 23 mile training runs before every other marathon and it hasn't gotten me where I really wanted to be--sub 4.  So, why not try a new approach.  This may be what works for me.  It may not be.  All I can do is give it all I have and trust the training!  This week's super easy, brainless, treadmill miles seemed to make a difference in motivation and drive. And the body seems willing again.  So, with 13 weeks until the Newport Marathon, I am ready to get moving.

7 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

How exciting to be 13 weeks from Newport! Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this and I hope your training gets you to where you're heading. :) It will!

Julie said...

Good luck with this new approach! You have a good point, traditional marathon training hasn't gotten you the results you are looking for so why not try something new! Oh, by the way, did you see Garbo's blog about the magical 12 mile long run? Go take a peak :)

Taryn said...

Good luck! Maybe a change in training is exactly what you need! :)

Brian and Katy said...

I read articles in Runners World about "less is more". I think there is a lot of validity to it.

Keeley said...

Good luck!! I hope it works out fabulously for you. =)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

It's fun to try new things in running and to have an upcoming marathon, too! I'm looking forward to seeing how your new plan works out!

Just Me said...

How did this plan work for you at Newport??